Church of the Assumption, Beauparc

beauparc church2

The church is in the townland of Seneschalstown. The Aylmer family gave the site towards the end of the 18th century. It is the third church to be built on this spot. In 1826 Fr. James Sheridan replaced the original church with a new church. This was renovated in 1862 by Fr. Thomas Lynch.

beauparc church internal1

In 1959 Fr. Bernard Plunkett formed a committee to make plans for the extention of the church. Ten years later it was decided that a new church should be built. On March 31st 1969 workmen began the task of dismantling the old church. From 1969 to 1971 Mass was celebrated in the old Yellow Furze School. Fehily Associates, architects drew up the plans for the new church. In 1970 local contractor Ambrose Owens and his team started work on the new building. Fr. Plunkett died on 7th March 1970.

beauparc church internal2

Fr. Patrick Bartley was appointed to succeed him. He found the work well underway but there were severe financial difficulties, complicated by a prolonged bank strike. The work continued and at Easter 1971 Fr. Bartley opened the new church, which cost £84,000, for public worship. On August 15th of that year the church was solemnly blessed and dedicated by Most Rev. John McCormack, Bishop of Meath. In 1991 extensive renovation work was carried out. This involved repairs to the roof and the provision of a belfry. The building is striking in appearance and typical of a style of architecture prevalent at the time of construction. It is now a listed building.